I attended the Social Good Summit at the 92Y this past Saturday. The projects presented are breaking down barriers and delivering solutions using social media and technology.
- @todd_park - CTO of the US and assistant to the president. Visit data.gov to learn about how he is making data awesome. Todd Park also answers his own emails. If he doesn’t return your email within 72hrs, forward the email to him and put “You Idiot” in the subject line. He said he will be sure to respond.
- After 11 years of working in healthcare I’m finally inspired by something relevant. A Mount Sinai NYC Fellow is conducting a study on how text messaging reminders can reduce teenage pregnancy. Preliminary results are great as this population spends hours each day on their mobile devices and is responding very well to the study.
- @JoshNesbit, CEO of Medic Mobile, shared how his team is combining healthcare and mobile technology (SMS) to help citizens in East & West Africa and South Asia stay connected to healthcare providers. Some stats from Nesbit.
* There are a Billion people who will never see a doctor in their lifetime.
* SMS platform Medic Mobile increased vaccinations from 60% to 99%.
* $10 phones are the tools being used by Medic Mobile with parallel SIM cards.
* 90% of the world’s population is covered by a mobile signal; 50% of people in sub-saharan Africa own cell phones.
If you would like to contribute to Medic Mobile visit www.hopephones.org. Reduce hazardous wastes and donate your used cell phone to help support global health.
- Rebecca Moore, engineering manager at Google Earth Outreach, presented how Google Earth is saving animals and trees. You can also check out your home on Google Earth. I heart Rebecca !!
Overall a great day engaging with ambitious creative minds. Looking forward to the next summit.